Buses and Trolleybuses
Kaunas has 16 trolleybus routes and 36 bus routes, generally running from 5:00 until 23:00, some run later as well. There are night buses on weekends and festive days. The further you are from the center the less chance you have of catching a bus late at night. Note that the entrance to a bus or trolleybus is from the front door.
Public transport discount for International students
According to Lithuanian law 50 % transport discount applies only for International Exchange students (European Union citizens) and International degree students studying at Lithuanian Universities Bachelor or Master full degree programmes in English.
- Students, EU citizens (VMU exchange, degree students or free movers), in order to get discounts and use public transport can use International Student Identity Card (isic.lt/en), together with ISIC they must always have their ID cards.
- VMU Bachelor or Master Degree students, coming from non EU countries, must order Lithuanian Student ID card (lsp.lt/en) in order to get discounts for public transport and must always have this card with them when using public transport.
- For International Exchange students (non EU citizens) public transport discount does not apply.
There are 2 types of the Kaunas public transport tickets:
- Single-use paper tickets. Single-use paper ticket can be bought after boarding the vehicle from the driver in the bus or trolleybus (€ 0,50 with ISIC / LSIC or € 1,00). You do not need to mark it. Please note that for security reasons drivers do not carry cash with them, so please be prepared to pay the exact amount of money.
- Single-use and periodic electronic tickets (E-ticket). There are single-use, 7 days, 30 days, 92 days and 365 days validity E-tickets. These tickets may be loaded into the E-ticket plastic card which costs € 1,50 (do not forget to write your name and surname on the card!). E-ticket card and E-tickets can be bought in the newspaper kiosks that are located all around the city, most often next to the bus stops. Inform the seller about the kind of the E-ticket (single-use, 7 days and etc.), the price (full or discounted for students) and quantity you want to load into E-ticket card. It is recommended to save the receipt of the payment for the whole time you use E-ticket.
E-ticket marking (scanning) and validation:
- Single-use and 1 month E-tickets have to be scanned by touching the yellow machine in the vehicle with your E-ticket plastic card each time you board.
1 month E-ticket is valid for the current month if you buy it until 14th calendar day of that month. 1 month E-ticket bought after 14th calendar day will be valid for the next month.
- Periodic E-tickets lasting 7, 30 or 92 days have to be validated first when you start using them.In order to validate your E-ticket, use the button “2” of the yellow machine in the vehicle and touch the yellow machine with your E-ticket plastic card afterwards.
Validated E-ticket has to be scanned by touching the yellow machine in the vehicle with your plastic card each time you board. The end of E-ticket validity period appears in the screen: in Lithuanian “Registruotas iki:” 2015-xx-xx.
You may check E-ticket card’s balance by holding it for several seconds close to the yellow machine: the word in Lithuanian “Liko”: and the amount of the balance “€ XX,XX” appears in the screen. The words in Lithuanian “Nepakankamas likutis” mean that the E-card is empty.
Kaunas city public transport E-ticket types and prices
(for buses and trolleybuses):
|Single-use ticket||7 days ticket||1-month everyday ticket||30 days ticket||92 days ticket|
|Prices with ISIC or Lithuanian Student ID Card||€0,50||€2,00||€6,20||€5,70||€15,20|
|Prices for all passengers||€1,00||€10,00||€28,50||€31,00||€76,00|
If you are caught without a valid ticket, you will be fined from € 17 to € 28.
It is recommended to call a taxi rather than to get one at a taxi stand. This way you will be sure that pay is fair. It is also wise to negotiate a price before getting into taxi. Drivers are obliged by law to display their operating licenses and taximeters. A taxi driver must issue a receipt if it is required by the passenger. Prices are higher at night. Dispatchers generally can speak basic English and Russian.
|Company name||Phone no||1 km fare
|1 min fare
|Taksi “Greičiau”||+370 687 73337
+370 37 733337
|Einesa||+370 620 33133
+370 37 331533
+370 37 736127
Use the app to find and order the taxi fast and easy. It takes the tap of a button to reach the largest network of taxi companies and private taxi drivers without a single call. In the app you can indicate your trip destination and it will calculate approx. price and propose optimal route. You will be able to choose your fare from Eco cost to Premium. Most popular apps Bolt, eTaksi and GoFast can be downloaded from Google Play Store and Apple Store.