Mentor’s programme at Vytautas Magnus University (VMU) was launched back in 2003 and is coordinated by VMU International Cooperation Department.
VMU Mentor is an active student, who has sense of responsibility and has time which can be dedicated for incoming international students. Mentors help new students from abroad to adapt in the new social and cultural environment and get to know the academic community. VMU mentors usually have already studied abroad (or perhaps are planning to study in the future), have motivation, international and intercultural experience and voluntarily helps the incoming students from abroad.
Goals of VMU Mentor’s Programme
- To help international students adapt and socialize in the new academic, social and cultural environment;
- To encourage the involvement of international students into the life of VMU academic community, organized events and other activities;
- To promote students’ voluntary activities and community spirit;
- To give an opportunity for VMU students to gain additional intercultural experience, get to know different countries, learn more about the traditions and customs of the other nationalities, accept cultural differences;
- To increase VMU students interest in various exchange possibilities, encourage them to go for study exchange or traineeships abroad;
- To establish possibility for VMU students to improve their foreign language, communication and other skills as well as gain experience in organizing events and implementing projects;
- To contribute to the reintegration processes of VMU students who returned from exchange.