Visa guide

1. For Citizens of EU / EEA / EFTA Countries

See the list of EU / EEA / EFTA countries here.

If you are a citizen of the EU / EEA / EFTA country and your study period at Vytautas Magnus University (VMU) is longer than 3 months (90 days) then you are required to apply for the Certificate confirming the right to temporarily reside in Lithuania in Kaunas Migration Office.

2. For Citizen of Other Countries (Visa-free Entrance)


See the list of countries whose citizens are not requested to have a visa to enter Lithuanian boarder (visa-free regime) here.

Citizens of Other Countries (not listed in the section No. 1) who are not requested to have a visa to enter Lithuanian boarder, but are allowed to stay in Lithuania not longer than 90 days without a visa, have to decide whether to apply for the National D type multi-entry visa before the arrival or just after.


Application before Arrival



Application after Arrival


3. For Citizens of Other Countries


Students are required to apply for the multi-entry national visa (D) in the nearest Embassy or Consulate of the Republic of Lithuania in their home country or in the nearest one (see the list of countries) before the arrival.

The exception applies for the students holding EU / EEA / EFTA country residence permit. These students have to decide whether to apply before arrival or in 5 days after arrival (please follow the application procedure provided in the section No 2).

Note! Students having multi-entry national visa (D) for studies, must arrive in Lithuania first. If your flight is not direct to your final destination, you cannot leave the airport otherwise you will not be allowed to continue your trip to Lithuania.

Useful information about migration issues