VMU Mentors’ programme aims to make the adaptation process of incoming international students at Vytautas Magnus University (VMU) easier, fosters volunteering and increases international experience among VMU students. It was launched in 2003 and is coordinated by VMU International Cooperation Department (ICD) together with student organization ESN VMU.
Who is VMU mentor?
VMU mentor is a student at Vytautas Magnus University who has already studied abroad (or perhaps is planning to study in the future), has motivation, international and intercultural experience and voluntarily helps the incoming foreign students.
What are the tasks of VMU mentor?
- Contact VMU International students before their arrival (both mentor and mentee should agree upon and exchange an efficient contact method – phone, email, Facebook etc.);
- Meet international students in Train or Bus Stations and accompany them to the living place (mentor is not obligated to meet the incoming student at Vilnius city). If mentor is not able to meet the student the information of how to reach accommodation place should be provided;
- Assist students in orientating themselves at VMU and in Kaunas.
What VMU mentor doesn’t have to do?
- Be available 24/7;
- Do student’s homework for them;
- Pick up incoming students in the middle of the night at airport or other place;
- Know all the answers to all possible questions.
How does it work?
Incoming students, during their acceptance to VMU, receive information about mentor’s programme and where to register for it.
Both international and VMU students register on a Buddy system online where they provide basic information about themselves.
The mentee-mentor matching begins around two weeks before the beginning of new semester.
When international students are being matched with local student, they receive an email with a notification from the Buddy system.
If students miss the deadline for requesting a mentor, they might be able to ask for one later .
Mentor-mentee matches are being made continuously throughout the semester.
Please note that we can’t guarantee that everyone will get a mentor because there are more incoming students than mentors.
I signed up a while ago, but I haven’t heard anything. Why?
If you have the confirmation email, you are already on our system and we are looking for most suitable mentor for you. Please be patient, because it takes time to make the best match.
Check your spam folder and if there is no confirmation email there, please contact VMU mentor’s programme coordinator via email: Monika.Lisauskaite@vdu.lt
Yes. If you have missed the first deadline or, if you are arriving late, you can still ask for a mentor and, if there will be a person available, we will provide you with one.
Students are being matched with mentors before the beginning of new semester when the application for exchange is completed. Due to late applications of incoming students it is not possible to make the matching process earlier and it wouldn’t be fair for students who were not able to apply as early as others.
Sadly, but no. We do not have an equal number of mentors as of incoming students and due to this not all incoming students are getting a mentor.
Yes, you can join mentor’s programme! Please contact the coordinator of this programme and express your wish to join!