Volunteering is generally defined as a willingly chosen activity with no financial gain involved. It is appreciated for skill development, community-oriented work and valuable experience. It is a way to discover favorite activities or spend time productively.
Volunteering has an enduring impact on the general affairs of society. It is one of the cornerstones of civil society and without it, the community-building process would be impossible.
Prof. Leonidas Donskis, 26 October 2011
Volunteering at VMU
The volunteering system at VMU was created in order to promote, acknowledge and support the contribution that VMU students make by volunteering. It is organized in accordance with a Lithuanian Law of Volunteering and Description of Vytautas Magnus University Student Volunteering Procedures. These documents describe volunteering objectives, the rights and duties of volunteers and the whole system of organizing voluntary activities, which helps the volunteers, the University community and the society as a whole to understand the meaning of volunteering.
Volunteering at VMU allows the students to gain new knowledge and experience. By participating in the university’s activities, volunteers find new friends, challenge themselves and get acquainted with the university.
VMU volunteers can not only actively participate in volunteering activities that are offered by the University but also get to know other opportunities of community engagement.
Benefits of Volunteering
- Volunteering is a chance to become wiser (Prof. Leonidas Donskis, 26 October 2011).
- Learn new skills and competences, use them in practice and expand your CV (Curriculum Vitae) this way.
- Get to know the university, its structure and management, the people who work here, which will eventually help you blend in at VMU more easily.
- According to the Description of Vytautas Magnus University Student Encouragement, Support and Allowance Award Procedures, active volunteers may receive scholarships, presents or souvenirs as encouragement.
- Make your ideas come true with a little help from the university (e.g., use its premises, equipment, etc.).
VMU Volunteers about Their Experience
Even though sometimes it was hard to find a spare moment for volunteering at VMU, now I can call it the best thing that has happened in my studying years. New friends, new skills and a real connection to the community of VMU helped me to find my place at this university.
Being a volunteer at VMU is really great. First of all, I’ve met lots of friendly, active and interesting people who have become my friends. I have an opportunity to contribute to the university’s events, and this makes me feel like a full-fledged member of the VMU community. Finally, I’ve gained a lot of personal experience and self-confidence, which come in handy when I need to make a quick decision in difficult situations. Volunteering at VMU is the best job!
For information about internship and volunteering opportunities, vacancies, career counseling and career planning, opportunities to work in Lithuania check here.