VMU has a distinct advantage regarding its young and promising doctoral students. Ph.D. studies at VMU open up unique possibilities for academic research and studies, preparing future generations of highly qualified specialists.
The strength of VMU is our ability to engage young researchers in various scientific activities, creating favourable conditions for them not only to advance their theoretical and methodological knowledge in a particular field of science, but also to conduct scientific research of global significance, participate in international projects and traineeships, give lectures and conduct seminars in Lithuania and abroad.
Fields of studies
Vytautas Magnus University currently offers doctoral studies in 18 fields:
- Biomedical sciences: Biophysics, Biology, Ecology and Environmental Science
- Physical sciences: Biochemistry and Informatics
- Humanities: Ethnology, Philology, Philosophy, History, Art Criticism and Theology
- Social sciences: Education Science, Economics, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, Law, and Management
Forms of studies
In accordance to the intensity of studies, there are full-time (4 years) and part-time studies (6 years).
People are admitted to doctoral studies on the basis of an open competition. The competition for admission to the doctoral studies takes place once a year – in September. The most important criteria are:
- Published or accepted to be published scientific publications;
- Scientific research project that details out what the applicant plans to research during his/her studies. It should be around 5-12 pages long;
- Grade point average of master’s diploma;
- Motivational interview in which all the applicants must participate (life or via Internet). Usually conducted in the middle of September.
- Diploma of master’s degree or qualification adequate to it, its annex/supplement;
- Notarised translation of the master’s degree diploma and its supplement into the Lithuanian language;
- Document recognizing the qualification acquired abroad issued by the Centre for Quality Assessment in Higher Education of Lithuania;
- 2 letters of recommendation;
- Scientific publications (if there are any) and their copies;
- Project of scientific research;
- Copy of ID document.
For more details see here.
- Admission rules are announced every year at the beginning of July;
- Submission and registration of documents are organized throughout summer;
- Motivational interview is conducted during first two weeks of September;
- Announcement of a list of invited candidates is made at the end of September;
- Beginning of the studies is 1st October.
Tuition fees in all the science areas are:
- 8352 EUR per year for full-time studies;
- 5568 EUR per year for part-time studies.
For motivated students scholarships might be provided depending on the particular situation upon presenting a motivational letter explaining circumstances why the sholarship should be provided.
Requirements during the studies
During his/her studies, one should implement these conditions:
- To take approx. 5 subjects (30 ECTS);
- To write and publish at least 2 scientific articles;
- To participate in at least 2 conferences (one should be international);
- To write a dissertation.