Society, Culture and Communication
The goal of the programme Society, Culture and Communication is to train highly-qualified B. A. graduates in sociology and communication who would be able to identify and analyse social problems and cultural processes, to expertly conduct sociological and communication research, to explain, compare and evaluate social processes and to apply creatively their research skills in the fields of communication and information science.
Graduates of Society, Culture and Communication study program will be eligible to continue studies in the Master study programs of sociology, social anthropology, and other social sciences and humanities in Lithuania and foreign study institutions.
Feedback of Lecturers and Students
“Contemporary world needs thoughtful, innovative and creative individuals who would contribute to its betterment. “Society, Culture and Communication” study programme will enable its students to combine theoretical and empirical knowledge about society and culture with practical tools of cognition and communication.”
Prof. Artūras Tereškinas, the teacher of the Programme, Department of Sociology, Faculty of Social Sciences, Vytautas Magnus University
„I believe that when it comes to social sciences, its a smart choice to go somewhere where you are not familiar with the society. And that is because, you get more of those moments of pure understanding of the topic you learned in class, you see the new society you entered through a researcher’s point of view, something that is harder to do in a society you know.”
Emma, a student of Society, Culture and Communication programme at Vytautas Magnus University
“Program itself is very unique, it has broad perspective for future career. That‘s why we get opportunity to study in different faculties. We are studying also quite different subject like Media studies, also Social change and so on. It is not usually so popular, I would say, among other universities, where people just simply study one discipline like journalism. So, I guess it gives more opportunity for future careers.”
Ruslan, a student of Society, Culture and Communication programme at Vytautas Magnus University
The study programme offers students variety of analytical, creative and professional competences, knowledge and skills, which are in these study areas:
- Cultural diversity and intercultural communication
- Qualitative and quantitative social research methods
- Classical and contemporary sociological thinking
- Applied statistics and basics of data analytics
- Qualitative data (content and text) analysis
- Principles of marketing, public relations and strategic communication
- Audiovisual communication and scriptwriting
- Application of critical thinking, theory and research methods within various social issues (i.e. inequality, demography, health, family, religion and other fields)
Graduates of programme:
- will work as analysts and communication specialists in government (ministries and other state institutions), and non-governmental (human rights organizations, etc.) and private (insurance, marketing, public relations companies, etc.) sectors.
- will use acquired skills in sociology and communication in analyzing and communicating knowledge to both target and wider audiences on the issues of social exclusion, poverty, structural inequality, public health, civic (dis)empowerment and social policy.
- will employ innovative contemporary social research methods in order to identify, forecast and solve fundamental social problems in national and international companies, organizations and institutions.
|Faculty of Social Sciences (inquiries regarding study programme)|
|Programme contact person Dr. Apolonijus Žilys, email@example.com
|Address Jonavos str. 66-306, LT-44191 Kaunas, Lithuania|
|Facebook Study Sociology and Anthropology in Lithuania
|International Cooperation Department (inquiries regarding application and admission)|
|Visiting Address V. Putvinskio g. 23, room 211, LT-44249 Kaunas, Lithuania|
|Mailing Address K. Donelaičio g. 58, LT-44248 Kaunas, Lithuania|