The programme of Applied Sociology is designed to prepare specialists capable of originally and independently analysing peculiarities and problems of the functioning of society at its various levels. Graduates will also be able to prepare and complete research projects on social problems, to define solutions for social problems and to implement them by applying contemporary sociological theories and methods. After completion of the programme of Applied Sociology, the master degree in sociology is granted.
Feedback of lecturers and students
“Our main potential is based on the premise that research should serve community needs using the effective combination of sociological insight and methodological grounding. Our wish students would become effective practitioners in the field which requires complex understanding of social problems”.
Dr. Jurga Bučaitė-Vilkė, head of the programme
“Our students are encouraged to thoroughly examine and evaluate social processes and changes. This is a very challenging but promising task crucial for the betterment of our society”.
Prof. Artūras Tereškinas, teacher of the program, winner of National Science Award in 2015.
“Our students learn how individuals’ behave and interact in different size groups, starting from small tiny family groups and finishing with large groups like religious communities or organizations. My focus is to analyze how one’s position in the larger society shapes his or her life chances and daily practices”.
Dr. Milda Ališauskienė, teacher of the program, President of Lithuanian Sociological Association and a member of Executive Board of International Association for the History of Religions (IAHR.
- Competence to apply sociological theoretical models for the analysis of peculiarities of the functioning and development of society;
- Competence to identify social problems within various social institutions – economics, politics, family, law, education, religion, medicine (i.e. macro level) and at the level of individual relations (i.e. micro level);
- Competence to analyse social problems from the perspective of local and global processes;
- Competence to prepare and implement research projects on social problems;
- Competence to conduct empirical research by applying quantitative and qualitative methods of social research;
- Competence to process research data with the data analysis software;
- Competence to analyse and interpret the data of sociological research and prepare research reports;
- Competence to define solutions for social problems and possibilities to implement these solutions;
- Competence to consult governmental, non-governmental and private organizations about the development of human resources, organizational culture, communication and interest coordination between various minority groups and to evaluate the intellectual and social resources of these organisations;
- Competence to clearly and non-ambiguously provide logical and knowledgeable conclusions for the audiences of specialists and non-specialists.
Graduates of Applied Sociology programme will be able to work:
- in social research centres, public opinion and market research institutions, and public administration;
- organisational work in private and public institutions and non-governmental organizations;
- in science and education institutions;
- in advertising and public relations agencies;
- in various spheres of media;
- in cultural institutions;
- in international organizations and foundations for development, public health, tourism and recreation, and humanitarian aid;
Graduates of Applied Sociology may continue studies in PhD studies in sociology.
|Department of Sociology, Faculty of Social Sciences (inquiries regarding study programme)|
|Head of Department Prof. Dr. Milda Ališauskienė, email@example.com|
|Head of the programme Assoc. prof. Jurga Bučaitė-Vilkė,
|Address Jonavos g. 66, room 306, LT 44191 Kaunas, Lithuania|
|International Cooperation Department (inquiries regarding application and admission)|
|Visiting Address V. Putvinskio g. 23, room 211, LT-44249 Kaunas, Lithuania|
|Mailing Address K. Donelaičio g. 58, LT-44248 Kaunas, Lithuania|