Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
The Molecular Biology and Biotechnology programme connects fundamental research with its applications and integrates genetics, gene technology, cell biology, molecular biology, microbiology, biochemistry, systems biology, biotechnology and bioinformatics.
The programme focuses to provide all necessary knowledge needed to promote broad range expertise, erudition, and intellectual sense of satisfaction during studies, practice and work. During this program, you acquire in-depth knowledge and skills via theoretical and practical training.
You become highly competent in the field of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, with excellent perspectives for an independent career in an academic or industrial research environment.
Feedback of lecturer and students
“Molecular biology and biotechnology open for students doors to most recent inventions of modern bioscience”.
Prof. Algimantas Paulauskas, Head of the programme
Graduates of the programme will be able:
- To analyze molecular diversity, structure, composition, to characterize biological systems, their functioning and interaction: genomics, proteomics, metabolomics;
- To understand principles of immune and other systems, their structures, integration with other vital systems of biological objects;
- To work with living cells, organisms, populations. To evaluate processes taking place inside of the cell, work with cell cultures under laboratory conditions, to apply obtained results for modeling of biological systems, to evaluate intercellular interconnections, relations between single individuals and populations;
- To comprehend evolution of biological objects, lows in heredity and variability, features and molecular principles of congenital diseases, and to know how to apply them for investigation of biological diversity, structure of living organisms, functioning and evolution;
- According to collected data and molecular analysis to evaluate population’s structures, environmental impact on populations, interrelations between populations and individual species;
- To apply modern investigation methods, to work according principles of good laboratory practice, rules of bioethics, to collect, process, preserve and prepare research material under laboratory and field conditions;
- To apply acquired knowledge to solve emerging problems, to recognize, analyze biological problems, to plan strategies to solve these problems, to plan and carry out various measurements, process and interpret biological data, to classify and present these data;
- To solve qualitative and quantitative problems by using acquired mathematical and computational skills and special computer software, DNA gene base;
- To use creatively bio-information technologies for analysis, digital description and simulation of biological objects, to use biological databases, to systematize the collected information.
The programme provides graduates with several general areas :
- Companies related to molecular biology, biotechnology, biopharmaceutics and food industry;
- Regulatory and monitoring agencies in the different departments of the national government.
- R&D (research and development) and quality control departments of companies operating in the sectors of medicine, pharmaceutical sciences, cosmetics, agriculture, food and biotechnology as well as hospitals, private laboratories and in vitro fertilization (test tube baby) centers.
- Research and study organizations dealing with various activities related to molecular biology, biotechnology, bioinformatics, biopharmaceutics, and environment preservation.
- International companies dealing with the design and production of equipments used in the field of molecular biology and genetics or medicine.
- Study opportunities at PhD Degree level:
- Biology, Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Biochemistry, and other PhD programmes related to biotechnological and biomedical sciences.
|Faculty of Natural Sciences (inquiries regarding study programme)|
|Vice Dean of the faculty of Natural Sciences Mr Vykintas Baublys, Vykintas.Baublys@vdu.lt|
|Address Vileikos g. 8 – 212, LT-44404 Kaunas, Lithuania|
|International Cooperation Department (inquiries regarding application and admission)|
|Visiting Address V. Putvinskio g. 23, room 211, LT-44249 Kaunas, Lithuania|
|Mailing Address K. Donelaičio g. 58, LT-44248 Kaunas, Lithuania|