The general aims of Biotechnology undergraduate programme are to educate the competent specialists and researches in the chosen research and study area. To empower them to develop intellectual competencies in order to be capable to participate in research advancements, to take responsibilities in research and practice developments as well as to disseminate knowledge.
More specifically this programme aims:
• To deepen competencies in biology, biochemistry, genetics, immunology, microbiology, molecular biology and other subjects essential for an advanced level of biotechnology specialist.
• To provide students with the scientific, intellectual and practical education in order they would be capable to empower themselves for lifelong learning and career in biotechnology.
• To provide for students the supportive learning environment fostering their academic, professional and personal development.
The purpose of the programme is to prepare a competitive qualified biotechnology professionals with knowledge and skills of classic and modern chemistry, physics, biology, biochemistry and other basic sciences as well as applied biotechnology subjects (bioinformatics, plant, animal, pharmaceutical and molecular biotechnology) which are required for application of biotechnology in the practical and professional activities in creating new products and technologies, starting their own business or for pursuing further studies.
Feedback of lecturers and students
“Biotechnology programme gives very broad choice for career opportunities in variety of science and industry fields.” Prof. Gintautas Saulis
Graduates of the programme will be able to:
- Apply fundamental knowledge of biology, biological processes, and the scientific method to solve problems in biotechnology;
- Integrate biological knowledge and concepts with the legal, ethical, and business perspectives of the biotechnology/life sciences industry;
- Work in groups or individually to develop written and oral presentations that effectively communicate scientific concepts and opinions using language appropriate to the discipline;
- Apply major quantitative and computational skills and tools to solve problems in the biotechnology/life sciences industry;
- Work in biotechnological industry laboratories;
- Plan and conduct reliable, evidence-based laboratories, field studies or industry-focused projects, by selecting and applying methods, techniques and tools;
- Naturally manipulate processes in the development of new medicine, food and organic substances;
- Apply scientific methods and good experimental designs in scientific experiments;
- Empower themselves for lifelong learning and career in biotechnology.
The programme provides graduates with several general areas:
- Research science positions in laboratories applying biotechnology to problems in medicine, industry, and agriculture;
- Laboratory and production technician positions in biotechnology, pharmaceutic, food, cosmetic, agriculture and biochemical industries;
- Companies related to biotechnology, biopharmaceutics, health services, environmental agencies, cosmetic, environmental control and food industry;
- Management positions in the biotechnology industry and related government institutions;
- Positions at companies that are investing in biotechnology.
Following study opportunities at Master's Degree level: Biology, Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Biophysics, and other master programmes related to physical, technological and biomedical sciences.
|Faculty of Natural Sciences (inquiries regarding study programme)|
|Vice Dean of the faculty of Natural Sciences Mr Vykintas Baublys, Vykintas.Baublys@vdu.lt|
|Address Universiteto g. 10, room 314, Akademija, Kaunas, Lithuania|
|International Cooperation Department (inquiries regarding application and admission)|
|Visiting Address V. Putvinskio g. 23, room 211, LT-44249 Kaunas, Lithuania|
|Mailing Address K. Donelaičio g. 58, LT-44248 Kaunas, Lithuania|