Biology and Genetics
The programme is designed to train the qualified specialists with research skills who can successfully work in research and practice of science education, science, technology, business and social areas or systems. The programme aims to prepare high-quality, broad spectrum specialist in biology. The programme extends the importance of biology to other biosciences, students broad their knowledge in genetic, microbiology, biochemistry, biophysics, environmental science, immunology, bioinformatics, biotechnology, molecular biology courses and laboratory works. Students deepen their knowledge in classical biology during plant and animal biology field practices. It gives students competencies to seek career in various biology-related scientific institutions, commercial companies and government institutions.
Feedback of lecturers and students
“Biology programme encourages students to search for innovative and original solutions to biological problems.” Prof. Algimantas Paulauskas
After completion of this study programme students will be able:
- To understand principles of immune, nervous and other systems, their structures, integration with other vital systems of biological objects;
- To work with living cells, organisms, populations. To evaluate processes taking place inside of the cell, work with cell cultures under laboratory conditions, to apply obtained results for modeling of biological systems, to evaluate intercellular interconnections, relations between single individuals and populations;
- To apply modern investigation methods, to work according principles of good laboratory practice, rules of bioethics, to collect, process, preserve and prepare research material under laboratory and field conditions;
- To apply acquired knowledge to solve emerging problems, to recognize, analyze biological problems, to plan strategies to solve these problems, to plan and carry out various measurements, process and interpret biological data, to classify and present these data;
To analyze diversity, morphological structure, composition, nourishment, reproduction, life cycles, classification of biological objects, to characterize biological object systems, their functioning and interaction.
The programme provides graduates with several general areas:
- The field of biology is wide open, with diverse career opportunities available in health care, industry, environmental consulting, product development, forensics and governmental agencies.
- Companies related to biotechnology, biopharmaceutics and food industry.
- Research and study organizations dealing with various activities related to biotechnology, bioinformatics, biopharmaceutics, and environment preservation.
- Most popular jobs of graduates: zoologist, environmental scientist, biological technician, medical laboratory technologist, scientific company sales manager, consultants in environmental, biotechnological companies.
Following study opportunities at Masters's Degree level: Biology, Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Ecology, and other Master programmes related to physical and biomedical sciences.
|Faculty of Natural Sciences (inquiries regarding study programme)|
|Vice Dean of the faculty of Natural Sciences Mr Vykintas Baublys, Vykintas.Baublys@vdu.lt|
|Address Vileikos g. 8 – 212, LT-44404 Kaunas, Lithuania|
|International Cooperation Department (inquiries regarding application and admission)|
|Visiting Address V. Putvinskio g. 23, room 211, LT-44249 Kaunas, Lithuania|
|Mailing Address K. Donelaičio g. 58, LT-44248 Kaunas, Lithuania|