The Programme aims at preparing English philology specialists with a broad range of knowledge and competencies, who know English and another foreign language well, who have grasped the fundamentals of linguistics, literary and translation studies, and teaching English as a foreign language; who are familiar with political, social, and cultural specificities of English-speaking countries and are capable of contextualizing them and discussing them in relation to global developments; who are able to successfully apply their knowledge in practice, from work-related to scholarly contexts. This programme prepares specialists who, once they have gained their Bachelor degree, can continue their studies in this field at the Master’s level or move to studies in other fields: that is, they can choose Master’s studies in English philology, translation, computer linguistics, literary and cultural studies, education, journalism, political science and other fields.
Graduates will be able:
- to use fluent English in communicating orally and in writing in a variety of spheres of activity, as well as to apply their specialized knowledge working in international institutions;
- to understand and produce different kinds of texts (for example, journalistic, literary), to recognize the works of major authors from different cultural periods and texts from different genres with their characteristic styles;
- to explain cultural features of English-speaking countries and relate these to historical contexts;
- to understand the principal ideas expressed in some major current linguistic and literary theories, and apply them in practice;
- to analyze major strategies used in translation and apply them in practice;
- to use the most recent methods in teaching and studying foreign languages;
- to select and use the possibilities offered by information technology in teaching foreign languages;
- to apply in other spheres of activity the competences gained in carrying out scholarly research work and the correct presentation of research results.
The graduates of English Philology will become specialists, capable of working in a variety of fields. They will satisfy the educational, academic, cultural, economic and other needs of the workplace and will be capable of carrying out intellectual and cultural work independently.
The graduates of the Programme can expect to continue their career by:
- working as translators and/or interpreters;
- teaching English in schools;
- taking employment in public institutions such as banks, business companies and various organizations which need staff members with good knowledge of English;
- working as administrators in large international companies and EU organizations, combining their English skills with more specific business skills;
- entering Master studies;
- continuing their studies in the way they decide.
|Faculty of Humanities|
|Administrator Ms. Aurelija Čeglytė, email@example.com|
|Address Putvinskio g. 23, room 604, LT-44243 Kaunas, Lithuania|
|International Cooperation Department (inquiries regarding application and admission)|
|Visiting Address V. Putvinskio g. 23, Room No. 211 LT-44249 Kaunas, Lithuania|
|Mailing Address K. Donelaičio g. 58, LT-44248 Kaunas, Lithuania|