Disability is not an obstacle to become a member of VMU community. VMU has followed this philosophy in its daily activities since 1992. VMU was the first Lithuanian institution of higher education to launch a programme which integrated people with disability into the society through higher education.
In 2011, VMU was awarded by Education Exchanges Support Foundation as an “Education and study institution, which most actively promoted Erasmus mobility among the people with special needs from 2007 to 2010”.
In 2015 Vytautas Magnus university was awarded a certificate of Lithuanian Association of People with Disabilities which states that infrastructure of the University is adapted and provided services are friendly to people with disabilities.
Today our university is still known as friendly to people with disability: as a socially responsible university VMU has continuously implemented its disability-related policies and has upheld similar values for more than two decades:
- provision of financial support. Exemptions of the tuition and accommodation fees may be provided.
- material basis of the university is constantly being built, reconstructed, adjusted and adapted to the needs of students with physical disabilities.
- students with disability live in dormitory rooms that are adapted to their needs, with a possibility to their companions to be accommodated together.
- many study programs are flexible and by organizing the process of studies can be adapted to the needs of the person with disability: distance learning, various forms of examination, etc.
- the university provides students with disability learning / educational tools and devices so they could use these material for their studies
At VMU student with disability will always be heard and understood. He or she will always be able to participate and contribute to the process of making comfortable conditions for learning, studying and living. This is one of the fundamental aspects of which Vytautas Magnus University can be proud of as a university which is friendly for people with disability.
THE ADAPTATION OF UNIVERSITY PREMISES TO STUDENTS WITH DISABILITY
Most premises and facilities of the university are fully or partially adapted to the needs of disable students:
- Mostly all buildings entrance door opens automatically.
- Student Recreation Room at the VMU Building No. 3 Room 115 (1st floor), where people with disability can use portable computer tables, a massage chair and a recreation space.
- Separate floors in the stairway and individual rooms at the VMU Building No. 3 include corresponding Braille markings.
- All Reading Rooms of VMU libraries has a specially designated workplace for a person with disability, which contains a portable computer desk with a widescreen monitor and other equipment.
- Special hoists and wide lifts at VMU buildings use audio system of announcements.
- Lecture rooms have designated places for people in wheelchairs.
- Present equipment and infrastructure are continuously being improved.
- Vytautas Magnus University provides disability access map of VMU buildings.
ACCOMMODATION IN THE DORMITORY
Vytautas Magnus University provides accommodation for students with disability in the dormitory in a priority manner. VMU Dormitory No. 2, Vytauto pr. 71 is adapted for students with mobility impairment in which they may live in comfortable conditions. If there is a need, the accompanying person can live together with a student. These persons (a student and an accompanying person) can be provided exemptions on the payment for accommodation.
ORGANIZATION OF STUDIES
The administration, professors and students of the university understand the needs of people with disability and work together to ensure that they have a comfortable experience at VMU.
Every student designs their own individual schedule of studies which is personally adapted to their needs. If you notice that the appointed auditoriums are difficult to access, please inform the Studies Department:
- S. Daukanto g. 27, LT-44249 Kaunas
- Phone +370 37 323 599
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
INTERNATIONAL STUDIES AND INTERSHIPS
Students with disabilities may not only participate in the competition for Erasmus+ studies or internships abroad but can also get an additional grants, which would cover all expenses that are related to disability or special needs during Erasmus+ internship or studies. For more information, please, contact International Cooperation department:
- Visiting address: V. Putvinskio g. 23 (rooms 207-215), Kaunas, Lithuania
- Mailing address: K. Donelaičio g. 58, LT-44248 Kaunas, Lithuania
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Admission to Degree Studies e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Internet: www.vdu.lt/EN
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/VMU.International
COORDINATION OF STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES
Student Affairs department of the University has the officer who is responsible for a centralised solution of various problems faced by students with disabilities.
STUDENT AFFAIRS DEPARTMENT
- S. Daukanto g. 27, Room 210
- LT – 44244 Kaunas, Lithuania
- Phone: +370 37 751 175
- E-mail: email@example.com