Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:https://hdl.handle.net/20.500.12259/31988
Type of publication: Straipsnis kitose duomenų bazėse / Article in other databases (S4)
Field of Science: Istorija ir archeologija / History and archeology (H005)
Author(s): Kamuntavičienė, Vaida
Title: Kauno ir Gardino katalikiškų parapijų istorijų paralelės XV-XVII a
Other Title: Kaunas and Grodno Catholic parishes in the 15-th and 17-th centuries: historical parallels
Is part of: Kauno istorijos metraštis. Kaunas : Vytauto Didžiojo universiteto leidykla, T. 12 (2012)
Extent: p. 15-24
Date: 2012
Keywords: Kaunas;Gardinas;Katalikiškos parapijos;Istorijų paralelės;15-17 amžius;Kaunas;Grodno;Catholic parishes;15-th and 17-th centuries;Historical parallels
Abstract: In the article history of two Catholic parishes – Kaunas’ St. Peter and Paul and Grodno’s Blessed Virgin Mary is compared. Both parishes were founded by the Great Duke of Lithuania Vytautas at the end of the 14th century and in the beginning of the 15th century. Though both cities are on the banks of river Nemunas, from the geographical and historical point of view there are more differences than similarities. The Catholic parish in Grodno was surrounded by Orthodox lands, whereas in Kaunas there was a very strong Lutheran community starting from the first half of the 16th century. Both these Christian communities were serious rivals in the fight for the souls of believers. Though Kaunas was much bigger and richer compared to Grodno, positions of the Catholic Church were much stronger in Grodno. Factor of the Ruler played a decisive role. In Grodno, there was the Palace of the Ruler and Royal economy, occasionally the King resided there, and moreover starting from 1673 each third Seimas of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth met in the city. From the economical point of view the Grodno parish was several times richer than that of Kaunas. From the point of view of Catholic hierarchy it was the same: on the 24th of July, 1561, Grodno parish received privilege of the King Sigismund August and became prepository (praepositus). This status was much higher than that of Kaunas parish. The history of the Grodno parish prepository church, called Vytautas fara, ended on the 29th of November, 1961, when the Soviet authorities blew up the church. This happened exactly 400 years after it had received the title of prepository. In the 20th century Kaunas parish church received a status of archcathedral
Internet: https://eltalpykla.vdu.lt/1/31988
https://www.vdu.lt/cris/bitstream/20.500.12259/31988/1/ISSN2335-8734_2012_N_12.PG_15-24.pdf
https://hdl.handle.net/20.500.12259/31988
Affiliation(s): Humanitarinių mokslų fakultetas
Istorijos katedra
Vytauto Didžiojo universitetas
Appears in Collections:Kauno istorijos metraštis 2012, nr. 12
Universiteto mokslo publikacijos / University Research Publications

Files in This Item:
marc.xml10.15 kBXMLView/Open

MARC21 XML metadata

Show full item record

Page view(s)

54
checked on Aug 16, 2019

Download(s)

44
checked on Aug 16, 2019

Google ScholarTM

Check


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.