Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:https://hdl.handle.net/20.500.12259/100594
Type of publication: Straipsnis kitose duomenų bazėse / Article in other databases (S4)
Field of Science: Istorija ir archeologija / History and archeology (H005)
Author(s): Kamuntavičienė, Vaida
Title: Filia katarzynek z Braniewa na Żmudzi. Klasztor katarzynek w Krokach w XVIII wieku / tłum. z j. litewskiego Tomasz Błaszczak
Other Title: The Branch of St. Catherine’s sisters of Braniewo in Samogitia: the convent of St. Catherine’s sisters in Krakės in the 18th century
Is part of: Zapiski historyczne. Torun : Towarzystwo Naukowe, 2019, T. 84, nr. 2
Extent: p. 33-56
Date: 2019
Keywords: Žemaitija XVIII a;Krakės;Varmė;Branevas;Šv. Kotrynos kongregacija;Samogitia 18th century;Krakės;Warmia [Ermland];Braniewo;Congregation of St. Catherine of Alexandria
Abstract: The Samogitian bishop Jerzy Tyszkiewicz founded the Convent of St. Catherine in Krakės in 1645. The research on St. Catherine’s Sisters in the 18th century has received the least attention from researchers. On the basis of manuscripts and published sources, the article discusses the attitude of the Samogitian bishops towards St. Catherine’s Sisters; it provides data about the material situation of the convent and the church, the relations of St. Catherine’s sisters with the community, and directions of piety. In addition, the research on the collective biography of St. Catherine’s Sisters has been carried out. The research has revealed that the community of St. Catherine’s Sisters in Krakės was relatively small; at a certain point, it consisted of 12 nuns of noble origin from Samogitia and the neighbouring territories. Some information has been found about 48 nuns who gave eternal vows in 1680–1797. They lived and prayed in a wooden church built in 1692 and a wooden convent built in 1722. In the Church of St. Trinity and St. Catherine, Virgin and Martyr, there were six altars; the convent consisted of 15 cells, a refectory, a parlatorium, and an infirmary. The main sources of material livelihood of St. Catherine’s Sisters in Krakės were donations of the Samogitian bishops and the nobility and dowries of the novices; however, the convent was not rich. Even though St. Catherine’s Sisters in Krakės adopted the regulation of the Congregation of St. Catherine of Alexandria, Virgin and Martyr, in 1673, they developed independently and established local traditions; for instance, at some point they followed a strict clausura, which limited their possibilities to carry out apostolic activities behind the walls of the convent. St. Catherine’s Sisters focused on the education of children (especially orphans) and performed caritative functions. [...]
Internet: http://www.zapiskihistoryczne.pl/files/issues/86de017ad9d8ea93f0c1655a84927f75_ZH_84-2_02_Kamuntaviciene_N.pdf
http://www.zapiskihistoryczne.pl/files/issues/86de017ad9d8ea93f0c1655a84927f75_ZH_84-2_02_Kamuntaviciene_N.pdf
http://dx.doi.org/10.15762/ZH.2019.13
Affiliation(s): Humanitarinių mokslų fakultetas
Istorijos katedra
Vytauto Didžiojo universitetas
Appears in Collections:Universiteto mokslo publikacijos / University Research Publications

Files in This Item:
marc.xml6.62 kBXMLView/Open

MARC21 XML metadata

Show full item record

Google ScholarTM

Check

Altmetric


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.