The purpose of social work master’s study programme is to prepare high qualification social work capable to innovatively and ethically act in various professional and academic fields of social work requiring theories substantiated by international researches evidence and innovative practice methods of social work together with understanding and assessment of interventions in various professional contexts, initiation and implementation of social work researches, and influence of innovative social programmes, creation of services and influencing social policy for promoting greater social justice and meeting human rights. Graduates are awarded with a Master’s degree of Social work.
Upon completion of the programme the students will have acquired the following competencies:
- Systemize theoretical approaches about changes and perspectives of social work theories paying a special attention to critical and social constructionism paradigms substantiating application of innovative social work practice methods and interventions in professional contexts and creation of new social services and programmes.
- Design and conduct applied and comparative researches of social work practice and its context using quantitative and qualitative research methodologies for substantiating solutions with arguments and making assumptions for installation of innovations and its control in micro, mezzo, and macro levels for an implementation of human rights and social justice.
- Establish the suitability / appropriateness and effectiveness of intervention, developing ethical changes enabling social worker and client interactions, using specialized methods of work with individuals, families, and/or groups in unpredictable, complex situations with consideration to resources and opportunities.
- Initiate the creation and development of innovative social services projects, programmes and/or organizations integrating enabling innovative principles and methods of organizations control and interdisciplinary collaboration, foreseeing/using local, national and international financial, human and structural resources.
- Summarize analysis outcomes of policy, resource and social structure links preparing recommendations for social policy improvement, social services and sustainable social development in the aspect of comparative social policy.
- Substantiate human rights standards and importance of social work values for development empowering social services innovations.
- Associate and convincingly convey professional information communicating and collaborating with social work specialists, recipients and other professions representatives ethically influencing and responsibly presenting relevant questions of social work professional and academic fields.
- Critically assess one’s and others further individual learning and application of innovative social work professional knowledge together with practical and research methods, reflecting professional and learning experience and its impact to social welfare.
Graduates of Social work Master’s programme organize and manage social work activity, do social work researches, implement prevention programmes, administrate, prepare and are working on national and international projects and programmes, initiate new social services, participate in preparation and qualification programmes of social workers, design, implement and assess intervention processes, working with individuals, families, groups or society in these fields:
- Social Security and Work Department and its subdivisions; in social assistance departments of municipalities, stationary and non-stationary institutions of social services (centres of social services, foster homes, specialized foster institutions, day and society centres, etc.);
- Educational institutions: universities, non-university higher education institutions, vocational education and other institutions;
- Healthcare system institutions: individual’s primary, secondary and tertiary level (including mental health) healthcare in ambulatory and stationary institutions, Centres for Addictive Disorders and public healthcare institutions;
- Judiciary institutions: institutions controlled by prison department;
- National and international non-governmental organizations.
Graduates of Social work Master’s continue their doctoral studies of social work, sociology, education and other social science programmes of doctoral studies in Lithuania and foreign universities.
In the end of the studies students have to prepare and to defend their MA Thesis.
Complementary studies programme consists of the subjects from Bachelor social work study programme. Volume of the complementary programme is individualized and depends on the volume and structure of graduated programme by the candidate and his/her practical experience.
|Department of Social Work, Faculty of Social Sciences (inquiries regarding study programme)|
|Head of the Department Assoc. prof. Rasa Naujanienė, Rasa.Naujaniene@vdu.lt|
|Administrator Mrs Sondra Sapiegienė, Sondra.Sapiegiene@vdu.lt|
|Address Jonavos g. 66, room 316, LT 44191 Kaunas, Lithuania.|
|International Cooperation Department (inquiries regarding application and admission)|
|Visiting Address V. Putvinskio g. 23, room 211, LT-44249 Kaunas, Lithuania|
|Mailing Address K. Donelaičio g. 58, LT-44248 Kaunas, Lithuania|