Health care and assistance
How to get hospital treatment?
In order to get any medical treatment or consultation you need to register first. You can do that by calling the selected Health Care Institution (HCI) or pay the visit to it. Phone numbers of Lithuanian HCI in Kaunas for registration purposes are provided bellow. For scheduled hospital treatment, you will have to consult with a general practitioner.
Please be aware of the fact that at the time of visit to the clinic you have to present your European Health Insurance Card or proof of your private health insurance policy together with an identification card or passport. Note! student ID card is not acceptable.
In case of an emergency situation you can go directly to the hospital or call the ambulance.
Note! Emergency number in Lithuania is 112.
Alongside 112, the following emergency numbers are available:
- 01 – fire brigade
- 02 – police
- 03 – ambulance
List of Health Care Institutions (HCI) in Kaunas
Providing consultations in English:
|Type of HCI||Name of HCI||Address||Contact No.|
|State owned||Kauno miesto poliklinika, Centro padalinys||A. Mickevičiaus g. 4||+370 37 409222|
|Private||“Bendrosios medicinos praktika”||Savanorių pr. 423||+370 37 313879|
|Private||Baltų šeimos klinika||Žemaičių pl. 37||+370 699 96622|
Health Insurance for European Citizens
Students from European Union countries for necessary medical care services may use European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).
Important information about EHIC
- If you need to be reimbursed, present the paid bills or documents proving the payment together with doctor’s explanation form to your relevant institution when you return home.
- Remember: only the costs of necessary medical care are reimbursed at your home country in case you have to pay for the treatment.
- EHIC holders are eligible to be reimbursed for the costs of subsidized medicines prescribed for out-patient treatment purposes. There are 4 reimbursement levels for medicines: 100%, 90%, 80% and 50% of reference price. Subsidized medicines can only be obtained with a doctor’s prescription. A person must show his EHIC and proof of identity in the pharmacy.
- The doctor has the right to charge your visit if you do not have an EHIC. Make sure you get a medical extract or doctor’s explanation form (list of the health care services received).
- The card will not help you with rescue and repatriation – if you need free transport back home after falling seriously ill or after having an accident while visiting another EU country, you will need separate insurance cover
Health coverage for non-European Citizens
VMU do not provide health insurance plan. So students are required to get private insurance from their countries prior coming to Lithuania or visa free entry country citizens upon arrival.
Students from non-European Union countries have to insure their health privately before coming to Lithuania or immediately after arrival. Students have to pay for all the health care services by themselves. Insurance company reimburses the expenses under receipt received for medical treatment afterwards.
Information that has to be provided on the private insurance policy:
- The Health Insurance Policy in English
- Statement that you are covered for medical, hospitalization and repatriation expenses
- Particulars of the insurance company: name, address of registered office, telephone
- Full name of the insured person
- The total coverage of health insurance
- The minimum coverage of health insurance should be no less than 5800 EUR
- Duration of health insurance policy
- Territorial coverage of health insurance policy
- Non-insured events
Note! In case you have missed examinations because of illness, please, deliver a doctor’s note as a proof to the teacher, otherwise you will not be allowed to retake exam.