Integration of ASU, LUES and VMU
On 13 January 2018, the Parliament of Lithuania ruled that Aleksandras Stulginskis University (ASU) and the Lithuanian University of Educational Sciences (LUES) will be integrated into Vytautas Magnus University.
The university will conduct scientific research and studies in the humanities, social, physical, biomedical, technological and agricultural sciences. The integration has expanded the capabilities of each of the three university communities. After combining their academic potential and consolidating the infrastructural resources, opportunities will be made possible to efficiently perform research and provide studies in all fields. VMU will continue to develop its already existing studies and research in the humanities, social, natural, physical and technological sciences and the arts. Excellent synergy is also expected to emerge in the newly added scientific fields of bioeconomics, renewable and alternative energy, engineering and technological sciences, IT in agriculture, climate change research, and environmental sciences. Thanks to the joint efforts of Lithuanian and foreign scientists and experts, the education sector will be reformed: student admission to the Academy of Education will be launched in 2018, where studies and scientific activities based on the latest international research will be conducted.
New breakthroughs are also expected to be achieved at the VMU Academy of Agriculture, which will open in 2019. The integration of the three universities will be completed at the legal level by 2019, while the optimization of various activities and organizational structures will continue until 2022. As agriculture is increasingly modernized, digitized and robotized, with focus centred on work in global markets, the integration of ASU is intended to result in the development of strong interdisciplinary programs and consolidation of studies and research in agriculture and engineering of biosystems. Strong synergy is anticipated in the field of biotechnology, particularly plant-based, as VMU and ASU are among leaders at national level in this scientific area. Furthermore, opportunities are increasing for more efficient utilisation of joint infrastructure, scientific equipment, and the possibilities provided by Nemunas Valley.
Active cooperation is already underway between researchers of social sciences at ASU and the scientists of the Faculty of Economics and Management at VMU: major centre of bioeconomics will be created.
The integration of ASU, LUES and VMU has also resulted in VMU taking over all contractual agreements with the partners of LUES and ASU. Student and teacher exchange and other forms of cooperation will continue to be conducted.
VMU: the Widest-Range University in Lithuania
- Social Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- Biomedical Sciences
- Technological Sciences
- Agricultural Sciences
VMU is a strong and modern university where the principles of liberal arts studies of Harvard University are applied. It is a university which provides a comprehensive education to the architects of the future.
- Fields of studies. Duplicates will be eliminated: study programmes that are shared by the universities will be combined. The expanded VMU will also introduce new study fields, e.g. life sciences, engineering, business and public management.
- Interdisciplinary studies. VMU will have a wide range of interdisciplinary programmes: from neurotechnologies to bioeconomics, from creative industries to digital humanities, from law and finance to neurotechnologies, from smart animal husbandry to agrobiotechnologies.
- International studies. In cooperation with prestigious universities of the world, even more joint and double degree study programmes will be created. Foreign lecturers will constitute no less than 15 per cent of all professors at VMU, while the number of international students will increase by 20 per cent.
- Entrepreneurship. Students at the integrated VMU will be given the opportunity to try their hand at the Centre of Entrepreneurship Education, where numerous startup teams successfully launched their businesses, or to choose the smart internship model and work with over 60 Lithuanian and international companies. VMU training programme “Entrepreneurship Academy” was selected by the European Commission as one of the 50 best examples of successful cooperation between universities and businesses in Europe and the world. VMU is the only representative of the Baltic states on this list.
- Academia Cum Laude: individual studies for the most motivated students. More
- VMU Doctoral School. Top-level studies will be conducted in 23 fields. Doctoral students will be encouraged to spend up to a year studying or doing internships at foreign universities.
- One of the main aims of the integration between VMU, ASU and LUES is to accumulate the scientific potential and significantly improve the quality of experimental activities. Cooperation between science and business will be promoted through implementation of joint research projects, establishment of innovative companies, and commercialization of scientific studies.
- Centres of Academic Excellence. VMU will continue to conduct research of educational sciences, social innovations, creative industries, digital humanities, biotechnologies, neurotechnologies, AI technologies, diaspora and other fields. Special synergy is expected after combining the scientific potential in educational sciences and bioeconomics.
- New research areas. The integration will pave the way for the development of new international-level research in critical areas: climate change, environmental pollution, application of artificial intelligence technologies in agriculture.