The programme applies scientific and engineering principles to living organisms in order to produce products and services of value to society. The programme of innovative combination of theory and application will provide graduates with a knowledge base and a set of skills that will make them very competitive in biotechnology, biopharmaceutics and environment protection employment fields also for laboratory jobs in the academic or industrial sectors.
The programme is specifically designed to integrate the laboratory and lecture components through the use of an experimental approach to learning in biotechnological, genetics and molecular biology laboratories. Hands-on research experience is deepening through an extended independent research projects.
Feedback of lecturers and students
“Biotechnology programme gives very broad choice for career opportunities in variety of science and industry fields.” Prof. Gintautas Saulis
Graduates of the programme will be able to:
- Apply fundamental knowledge of biology, biological processes, and the scientific method to solve problems in biotechnology;
- Integrate biological knowledge and concepts with the legal, ethical, and business perspectives of the biotechnology/life sciences industry;
- Work in groups or individually to develop written and oral presentations that effectively communicate scientific concepts and opinions using language appropriate to the discipline;
- Apply major quantitative and computational skills and tools to solve problems in the biotechnology/life sciences industry;
- Work in biotechnological industry laboratories;
- Plan and conduct reliable, evidence-based laboratories, field studies or industry-focused projects, by selecting and applying methods, techniques and tools;
- Naturally manipulate processes in the development of new medicine, food and organic substances;
- Apply scientific methods and good experimental designs in scientific experiments;
Empower themselves for lifelong learning and career in biotechnology.
The programme provides graduates with several general areas:
- Research science positions in laboratories applying biotechnology to problems in medicine, industry, and agriculture;
- Laboratory and production technician positions in biotechnology, pharmaceutic, food, cosmetic, agriculture and biochemical industries;
- Companies related to biotechnology, biopharmaceutics, health services, environmental agencies, cosmetic, environmental control and food industry;
- Management positions in the biotechnology industry and related government institutions;
- Positions at companies that are investing in biotechnology.
Following study opportunities at Master's Degree level: Biology, Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Biophysics, and other master programmes related to physical, technological and biomedical sciences.
|Faculty of Natural Sciences (inquiries regarding study programme)|
|Vice Dean of the faculty of Natural Sciences Mr Vykintas Baublys, Vykintas.Baublys@vdu.lt|
|Address Vileikos g. 8 – 212, LT-44404 Kaunas, Lithuania|
|International Cooperation Department (inquiries regarding application and admission)|
|Visiting Address V. Putvinskio g. 23, room 211, LT-44249 Kaunas, Lithuania|
|Mailing Address K. Donelaičio g. 58, LT-44248 Kaunas, Lithuania|