Diplomacy and International Relations
Area of Studies: Social Sciences
Faculty: Faculty of Political Science and Diplomacy
Mode of Studies: Full-time studies
Length of Programme: 2 academic years (120 ECTS)
Name of Qualification: Master of Political Science
Totally new and innovative degree programme Diplomacy and International Relations was launched in September 2001. It was prepared and organized with the support of the Seton Hall University (USA), School of International Relations and Diplomacy, as well as the presence of the support of Stasys Lozoraitis Fund. Currently this programme is one of the most popular graduate study programmes at Vytautas Magnus University. Since 2012 – 2013 academic year programme is taught entirely in English.
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, the Humanities or other Social Science field is required. Applicants who have not studied in a Political Science undergraduate programme, should have 24 credits in Political Science.
- Proof of English Language: TOEFL 87 iBT / 484 PBT, IELTS 6.0, level B2; or an official document from an official institution showing applicant had courses in English or studied English language.
Graduates of the programme obtain the following skills:
- To conduct theoretical analyses of significant problems in the field of international relations and diplomacy
- To be prepared to perform practical work in the field of international relations and diplomacy using gained theoretical background
- The ability to independently identify and analyse the main challenges in the practical sphere of international relations and diplomacy.
- To be able to evaluate fast-changing social practices and to flexibly apply it in the Lithuanian and international labour market.
- The ability to learn independently, and apply this ability in following and evaluating relavent international events.
- To obtain familiarity with the high culture of professional thinking.
Graduates will be prepared to work in as analysts, political advisors, or project managers in:
- Various state, non-governmental and private institutions;
- Lithuanian government institutions (e.g. Ministry of Foreign Affairs);
- Diplomatic missions (embassies, business, tourism);
- EU institutions and educational institutions, (e.g. Institutions of higher education, Institutes of Scientific Research).
Detailed information on required documents, legalization of documents, application deadline is provided here.
|Subject title||Study subject code||ECTS Credits|
|Global Economy and International Relations||POP 5022||6|
|Contemporary International Crises||POD 5002||6|
|Organization of Diplomatic Service||POD 6001||6|
|Research Project No. 1||POD 5016||6|
|English Language Course for Diplomats||POD 5001||6|
|International Relations Theories and Methodology||POD 5021||6|
|International Organizations||POD 5006||6|
|European Union as International Actor||POP 5006||6|
|International Security and Foreign Policy Strategy||POD 5004||6|
|Diplomatic and Consular Law||POD 6003||6|
|Research Project No. 2||POD 5010||6|
|Research Project No. 3||POD 6010||6|
Total for the Programme:
Department of Political Science, Faculty of Political Science and Diplomacy
|Head of the Department||Assoc. prof. Andžej Pukšto, A.Puksto@pmdf.vdu.lt|
|Administrator||Mrs Milena Antanavičienė, M.Antanaviciene@pmdf.vdu.lt|
|Address||Gedimino g. 44, room 201, LT-44246 Kaunas, Lithuania|
International Office (Application and Admission)
|Visiting Adress||S. Daukanto g. 27, room 305, LT-44249 Kaunas, Lithuania|
|Mailing Adress||K. Donelaičio g. 58, LT-44248 Kaunas, Lithuania|