Contemporary European Politics
Area of Studies: Social Sciences
Faculty: Faculty of Political Science and Diplomacy
Mode of Studies: Full-time studies
Length of Programme: 1,5 academic years (90 ECTS)
Name of Qualification: Master of Political Science
Graduate degree programme in Contemporary European Politics is aimed at preparing qualified political science professionals – experts, having knowledge of the main European political conceptions as well as professional skills not only creatively and critically apply theoretical and empirical knowledge in the analysis of political processes of the European Union, separate European countries, and the European region, but also able analyze the European Union institutions’ activities and policy changes, assess the aims and objectives of the enlargement of the European Union; its impact on sociopolitical events and processes in European continent. The program graduates will be able to apply the practical competencies acquired during the study period in their work places such as the institutions formulating and implementing public policy in the European Union, and various research institutions. Upon successful completion of the study program and defended Master thesis, students are awarded a Master degree in Political Science.
The prospective students are expected to have a Bachelor degree in political sciences. The bachelors of the other social sciences or humanities may apply as well. The bachelors having diploma in the other social sciences than political sciences are expected to have at least 10 ECTS credits of the other social sciences study courses, 4 ECTS credits of Humanities study courses, and 15 ECTS credits of political sciences study courses.
Upon completion of the graduate program of Contemporary European politics students will be able to:
- Analyze and explain the political and social processes taking place both globally and across the European continent and in individual European countries;
- Carry out research in such areas as the formulation and implementation processes of a general European Union public policy and its individual areas, the most important European institutions activities and developments;
- Perform a comparative analysis of the ongoing political processes and phenomena in the European Union and in individual European countries, public policy implementation measures, and provide forecasts of the development of these processes as well as alternatives of the policies;
- Prepare, plan, implement and evaluate research and educative projects, and the projects related to the European Union support;
- Take advantage of accumulated theoretical knowledge and practical skills acquired in the preparation of Lithuanian positions for the initiatives of EU public policies, and in the negotiations of Lithuanian and European Union interests;
- Gather and critically evaluate new information received and develop a range of knowledge, which will ensure the participation in the life-long learning process.
Students who have successfully completed a master’s degree studies can work as experts, analysts, political consultants, observers and commentators in various institutions formulating and implementing European Union policies in Lithuania as well as in the European Union, research centers, organizations and agencies preparing and implementing the projects, offices of political parties and NGO’s, universities and various institutions of mass communication. The graduates may continue their studies at the doctoral level in various Social Science programs.
Detailed information on required documents, legalization of documents, application deadlines, tuition fees etc. is provided in the section “Addmission to MA”.